- If caught early, 90% of colon cancer cases are curable.This is why the Chris4Life Colon Cancer Foundation is committed to reducing the number of people who develop colorectal cancer through proactive awareness and prevention.
- Because colorectal cancer does not exhibit any symptoms in its early stages, it is possible to feel healthy while polyps grow into cancer and obstruct the large intestine. Therefore, individuals over 50 should be screened even if they feel fine.
- For people with no family history of colon cancer, screening is most effective for adults starting at 50 years of age.
- You should be screened before age 50 if you have a first-degree relative (e.g. mother, father, sister, or brother) who has had a known pre-cancerous polyp or colorectal cancer.
- Because colon cancer occurs in African Americans at a younger age, it is recommended that members of this group get their first screening at age 45.
- Several different screening tests are available, though only a procedure called a colonoscopy can both detect and remove polyps before they grow into cancer. Please see the table below which describes the screening types and recommendations made by the U.S. Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer.
- Consult your doctor to determine the best screening test and time for you. Don’t wait! Please call your doctor and set up your screening today!
*Patients should choose ONE of the above regimens with consultation with their doctor.
§Positive test requires follow-up colonoscopy
1. Levin, B., et al., Screening and surveillance for the early detection of colorectal cancer and adenomatous polyps, 2008: A joint guideline from the American Cancer Society, the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer, and the American College of Radiology. CA Cancer J Clin, 2008. 58(3): p. 130-60.
Are you at Risk For Colorectal Cancer?
- 2nd leading cause of cancer deaths for men and women combined
- Colonoscopies not only discover cancer, but can also stop cancer
- 50% of Americans still do not get colonoscopy reimbursement
- Colon cancer research is still vastly under-funded
Events in Your Neighborhood
Integral Yoga Class Fundraiser
Yoga Class Fundraiser on March 15, 2014 Read More »
2nd Annual Chris4Life's Eat4Life
2nd Annual Chris4Life's Eat4Life: A Chef Cook-Off Read More »
9th Annual Scope It Out 5K Washington DC
The 9th Annual Scope It Out 5K Washington DC on March 23, 2014 at 9:00am Read More »