Scope It Out 5K Detroit...What a Success!
We did it!!
Several months of preparation and hard work has paid off. More than 500 registered participants showed up alongside family, friends, sponsors and volunteers on Saturday Nov. 3 to stand with Chris4Life in the fight against colon cancer at the 1st Annual Scope It Out Detroit 5K Run / Walk for Colon Cancer Awareness. Together, we raised almost $70,000 – all in the name of disease awareness and cutting-edge research.
The crisp fall air and picturesque landscape at Willow Metro Park helped in providing the perfect setting as crowds gathered to rally behind the cause, supporting those fighting colon cancer and honoring those who’ve lost the fight. Runners warmed up to the music of Today’s 105.1 FM WMGC Detroit Radio Station as on-air personality Lisa Jesswein conducted her broadcast. Speeches followed by Chris4Life Founder and Executive Director Michael Sapienza, Sean Kendall from Presenting Race Sponsor Meridian Health Plan, and from Dr. Lawrence Lum, M.D., DSc, who represented the race’s beneficiary, the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute.
Then, 500 strong took their mark for the shot gun start of the inaugural Scope It Out Detroit 5K.
As runners crossed the finish line, post-race activities ensued. Impressive arrays of refreshments were provided by PepsiCo, Panera Bagel and Apple Charlie’s. Afterwards, an awards ceremony honored race finishers and event sponsors while providing acknowledgement for the top fundraising team and individual fundraisers. Then there was the raffle with gifts provided by Bigby Coffee, Panera Bread, Meijer and Target commenced a pleasant ending to our successful event.
A huge “Thank You” is in order to the people who made this happen. We couldn’t have pulled it off without you:
- Local Chris4Life Volunteers and Detroit Scope It Out 5K organizers Breanna Pettinga, Jackie Borawski and Kristy George;
- Volunteer Groups from Karmanos, Target and Circle K;
- Event Sponsors Meridian Health Plan, PVS Chemicals, New Paradigm Promotional Marketing, Genetech, Fini & Arted, Gallagher-Kaiser Corporation, Ernst &Young, Paramount Lodging Advisors, Industrial Fence & Landscape, Center Management, CMA Heavy Haul, Golden Dental, BP Oil, Aparium Hotel Group, Redhead Salon, D-L Distributors, Bill Snethkamp Dodge, The Law Offices of Thomas C. Luch, Laske Family Chiropractic, and Stella Group;
- Everal Race Management, our In-Kind Sponsors, and Larry Maas with Larry’s Lens LLC Photography for event coverage.
The success of the inaugural Detroit Scope It Out race has solidified its annual status. With the support of those involved, the local host committee plans to do it all again next year – and double the results.
Are you at Risk For Colorectal Cancer?
- 2nd leading cause of cancer deaths for men and women combined
- Colonoscopies not only discover cancer, but can also stop cancer
- 50% of Americans still do not get colonoscopy reimbursement
- Colon cancer research is still vastly under-funded
Events in Your Neighborhood
The 5th Annual Fabulous Event
Join Chris4Life & The Never Too Young Coalition for The 5th Annual Fabulous ... Read More »
2nd Annual Scope It Out 5K Denver
Aurora, CO 80045
The 2nd Annual Scope It Out 5K Run/Walk Denver Read More »
3rd Annual Scope It Out 5k Run/Walk Pittsburgh
The 3rd Annual Scope It Out 5K Run/Walk in Pittsburgh, PA Read More »